Based in Hamar, Norway
May 29, 2014
DescriptionAmong the Sleep is a first person horror adventure, in which the player character is a two year old child. After being put to bed one evening, mysterious events start to unfold and you start exploring the dark looking for comfort. The game explores horror through atmosphere and exploration, not with scores and combat systems. In Among the Sleep you’re vulnerable, scared, and trying to make sense of the world. The first person perspective of a toddler lets the player immerse itself in the limitless imagination of a child as well, a perspective we can all relate to but few can clearly remember. In the borderland between dream and reality, surreal creatures and diverse environments will present players with both physical and mental challenges, while playing out an emotional story.
HistoryThe project initially started as a thesis project at the college university of Hedmark, Norway. Already before the Krillbite team graduated, the Norwegian Film Institute had decided to help fund the project, and soon the former creative collective found themselves working professionally from their own offices. Both the Norwegian Film Institute and Innovation Norway have since decided to continuing founding Among the Sleep. After a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2013, the game were finally released on the 29th of May 2014. The game has since been released on PlayStation 4 in December 2015, and on Xbox One in June 2016.
- The perspective of a two year old child – It’s a first person game, where you play as a two year old child. You’re small, vulnerable and helpless. But you can also crawl into small places to hide. Seeing your own hands crawling frantically under the couch makes you feel even more fragile.
- Adventurous horror and exploration – While wandering around in surrealistic environments, dark things will happen. Will you find comfort?
- Focused on story, not cheap scares – Merging a child’s perception of reality with its wild imagination, provides an interesting setting to tell a story. With only your teddy bear as a companion, we hope players will unravel what is actually causing your fear and confusion.
Launch Trailer YouTube
Gameplay Teaser #2 YouTube
Kickstarter Video YouTube
Environment teaser YouTube
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner, Nordic Game Awards - Best Artistic Achievement 2015 " Malmö, May, 2015
- "Winner, Momocon Indie Game Awards - Best Game 2015 " Atlanta, May, 2015
- "Winner, Nordic Indie Sensation Award." Malmö, May, 2014
- "Norwegian game of the year 2014, by Gamereactor" Norway, December, 2014
- "With all the lumpen, gristly protagonists clogging up today's starring roles, it's heartening to see somebody trying something a little out of the ordinary."
- Ben Maxwell, Edge
- "More, please!"
- Stephen Totilo, Kotaku
- "Looks set to be the creepiest game of the year."
- The Populist, The Guardian
- "Everything, from the sound of infantile breathing to the wobbliness of the camera and the unsteadiness of little hands, has been designed to accurately put ourselves behind the eyes of a toddler. Watching the trailer, the effect is simply astounding, while the Paranormal Activity-style scares that surround the child are pulled off with panache."
- Jim Sterling, Gamefront
- "Among the Sleep looks potentially brilliant and I'm really looking forward to giving it a go"
- Andy Chalk, TheEscapist
- "Its depiction of a first-person horror told through the eyes and stumbling little legs of a two-year old is as intriguing as anything I've seen all year, and reminiscent of a time when games actively sought out new ways to play and new stories to tell."
- Jon Denton, Eurogamer
- "Be sure to check out the Krillbite blog to follow the game's development. We certainly will be."
- Richard Mitchell, Joystiq
About Krillbite Studio
Krillbite Studio is a rather small independent game developer, who seek to deliver unique and engaging experiences. In 2014 we changed our lives completely by publishing our Kickstarter funded game Among the Sleep. In December 2015 we released Among the Sleep on PlayStation 4, and in June 2016 we released it for Xbox One. We are also designing our new project Mosaic. The projects keeps us busy, and we are very excited to see our ideas gradually take form. Please don't hesitate to contact us regarding whatever, according to some guy we met we can be quite pleasant.
More information on Krillbite Studio, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Among the Sleep Credits